12.20.2007

Breaking news alerts: What NOT to do

Check out the washingtonpost.com e-mail I just received, appended below. I am mystified at how even major news organizations don't seem to get breaking news e-mail alerts right.
What's the news conference about? Why should I care? More importantly, why should I drop everything I am trying to get done before my holiday vacation to pay attention to what is happening on washingtonpost.com? Is it breaking news simply because Bush IS holding a press conference? Maybe so, but how am I supposed to know that from what I've been sent? If that's the news hook, tell me! Give me something more than the president is going to hold a news conference. So what?
I am not clicking through to find out more. I have not been made to care enough to pay attention. I am almost tempted to unsubscribe....


From: washingtonpost.com [mailto:newsletter@letters.washingtonpost.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:46 AM
To: Polay, Sean
Subject: News Alert: VIDEO: President Bush to Hold News Conference

If you have any difficulty viewing this newsletter click here
wp logo



letter icon Feedback

News Alert 8:20 a.m. ET Thursday, December 20, 2007
VIDEO: President Bush to Hold News Conference
President Bush plans to hold a White House news conference at 10:00 a.m. ET. To view live streaming video of this event on the Web, go to http://www.washingtonpost.com/postlive1.

For more information, visit washingtonpost.com






E-mail Preference Page | Advertising | Subscribe to the Paper | Privacy Policy

E-Mail Newsletter Services
• To sign up for additional newsletter services or get help, visit the E-mail Preferences Page.
• To unsubscribe, visit the E-mail Preferences Page (do not reply to this e-mail).

© 2007 The Washington Post Company
Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive
c/o E-mail Customer Care
1515 N. Courthouse Road
Arlington, VA 22201

No comments: